Below are the most frequently asked questions about textbooks at the UNO Bookstore. If your question isn’t answered below, please call us: 402-554-2336.
When are textbooks on sale?
The 3-Week January Session (Jan. 3 - 21) and Spring Semester (Jan. 24 - May 13) books are available to purchase starting DECEMBER 13, 2021. The textbook department is available for assistance.
What's the best way to find a textbook on UNOBookstore.com?
There are three easy ways to find a textbook:
go to MavLINK and have your book list automatically generated with your NU ID. Please make sure you have created a login before you access your textbooks on the UNO Bookstore website.
*You cannot use guest checkout on rentals
- Use the site Search to find a textbook by Title or ISBN.
- Search for a textbook by Term, Department, Course & Section.
What options are available for textbooks?
We sell: hardback, paperback, loose-leaf new or used books. We rent textbooks and have eTextbooks. These can be 180-day rentals. Some e-books have lifetime access and are identified as such at checkout. We also provide textbook materials digitally via canvas which is called First Day. Your professor will provide instructions on the first day of class.
What is the Textbook Refund Policy?
- LAST DAY FOR FULL REFUND: 3-Week Session is January 5th. Spring semester is February 4th. The last day for a full refund coincides with the day after the University’s date to withdraw from class for a full refund. After those dates, all textbook purchases are final, no refunds.
- NEW BOOKS: Must be in NEW condition with all CD's, tapes, code cards and any supplements.
- ELECTRONIC BOOKS: Are NOT refundable once accessed or downloaded.
- FIRST DAY TEXTBOOK MATERIALS: 3-Week Session is January 5th. Spring semester February 4th. The last day for a full refund coincides with the day after the University’s date to withdraw from class for a full refund. After that date, no refunds can be provided.
Helpful Tips: Do not remove shrink-wrap, write/mark in books, or remove any pages until you have attended class and are certain you have the correct book, or will not be changing/dropping classes.
Do you deliver?
We offer the following delivery options:
- In-store Pickup FREE
You'll receive a notification email when your item is available to pick up in the store. Please wait for this email before coming into the store.
- Residence Hall Delivery FREE
- Intra-Campus Mail-UNO Campus Only
- UPS Ground, 2nd Day Air, Next Day Air
- USPS -only for PO Boxes/APO/FPO
- USPS -Priority Mail for All International Shipments
Why is my book not in stock?
There could be several reasons we’re out of stock: enrollment may be larger than estimated, textbook information hasn’t been received from your instructor, books may not be available or are delayed from the publisher.
During rush we receive new shipments daily, so ask a bookstore rep at the Textbook Counter about an out of stock book.
What are my payment options?
Whether you buy in person or online, students have five payment options:
- Charge to your Student Account. Student charge limit is $2000 per semester for books and supplies; the charges will appear on your bill from the University. Learn more about Student Accounts here.
- MavMoney / MavCard
- Credit Cards
What’s the difference between a refund versus a textbook buyback?
A refund is when you receive all your money for the textbook purchase as compared to when you sell back your textbook. When you sell your textbook(s) you receive a percentage back of the retail purchase price of the book(s) in cash.
When is the best time to sell back my textbooks?
The best time to sell your textbooks is during prep & finals week when the store purchases books for the upcoming semester. If your textbook won’t be reused on the UNO campus, it may still have a national market value. The Bookstore buys textbooks at wholesale prices every day.
How does the UNO Bookstore determine what textbooks are being used for the next semester?
The decision as to which textbooks are being used each semester is decided by faculty, Department Chairs and/or Deans, and Departments. The Bookstore does not make these choices.
Textbook Rental FAQ
Will my textbook include all of the supplementary materials? (CD, codes, etc.)
Yes - all supplementary required materials are included with a textbook rental.
Can I write and highlight in the textbook?
Yes, you may. Yet, we recommend the writing and highlighting be minimal. Excessive writing and highlighting will compromise the rental condition, and you may be charged the full price of the book if we aren’t able to re-rent the book. If you must highlight the book, we recommend using an erasable highlighter so you can clean up the book prior to returning it.
What does acceptable rental condition mean?
- No excessive writing or highlighting
- No broken spine or binding
- Cover is not torn or taped; missing torn, ripped, or loose pages
- No water damage (stains, rings, discolored, wavy, swollen)
- No odor of any kind
Will I get a reminder when my rental is due?
Yes - you will receive several email reminders to your UNO email address.
What happens if I’m late returning my rental?
If you don’t return your textbook rental by the due date, you will incur additional charges. If you never return your textbook rental, you will be charged the full purchase price plus a $20 late fee.
I can't remember the website where I access my eBooks.
When purchasing eTextbooks on our website you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org once your order has been processed. Please disregard the “ship” email that the system automatically sends. Your eTextbook is never shipped since it is electronic. Check spam to see if you did not receive the email. You can also find all your eBooks on VitalSource.com via your bookshelf.
I'm having trouble with my Student Access Code - and I'm not sure what to do.
Please visit the Help Center if you continue to have trouble accessing your eBook.
First Day FAQ
Where can I find the First Day Access Information?
For First Day information, please use the following link: First Day