First Day Access FAQ
What is First Day Access?
Selected by your professor, the First Day Access program is digital access to your required course materials through Canvas at a reduced price! Access to your required textbook starts the first day of classes, and you are automatically opted in through the drop/add date without a “W.” If you don’t want to purchase, you must opt-out through MavLINK by the listed deadline posted below. After that charges will be applied to your student account for the required materials.
How Does First Day Access Work?
- Faculty collaborate with their publisher representatives and the UNO Bookstore to coordinate required course materials and cost savings.
- Faculty receive instructions to set up their course materials.
- The UNO Bookstore communicates the program to enrolled students via Canvas.
- Once the content is published by the faculty, students log into Canvas and access their materials on Day 1 of class.
Interested? Please email the UNO Bookstore Textbook Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- When a faculty member chooses First Day Access for any course, details are posted in Canvas.
- Students receive access to the required digital course material through Canvas on the first day of class.
- An opt-out option is available for students who don’t want to purchase the required content.
- For those students who don’t opt-out, the cost of the content is applied to the student’s account the week after the opt-out deadline.
How do I get my required course materials through the First Day Access Program?
Your required digital course materials are in Canvas. Access begins the first day of class. Go to Canvas. Login with your NetID, and select the course on the home page.
If you are concerned about access, please email your instructor.
Cengage Unlimited First Day Access
For Cengage Unlimited or any First Day Access with Courseware (aside from Pearson titles) please see a publisher specific link on your Professor’s Canvas page for access. (Sometimes this will be under Modules).
How much does First Day Access cost?
Prices are negotiated and vary depending upon the course materials chosen by the instructor. Most First Day Access prices are lower than the cost to access the material directly through the publisher and average a savings upwards of 60% off the price of a new print textbook. See your booklist for the price of your specific First Day Access titles in MavLINK or refer to the introductory email you receive on the first day of class.
What does it mean to opt-out?
If you do not wish to purchase the required course materials through the First Day Access program, you have until the add/drop day without a "W" to opt-out. If you opt-out by the deadline, access to the online content will be turned off and the cost will not appear on your student account. Be sure not to opt-out if you need access to the interactive module (such as Cengage, etc.) to submit homework or take quizzes.
What are the opt-out deadlines?
|3-Week January 2023 Term||January 3 - 20, 2023||January 5, 2023|
|Spring 2023 Semester||January 23 - May 19, 2023||February 3, 2023|
* Please read your email concerning opt out dates.
* Charge date is approximately the week after the last day to opt out.
How do I opt-out?
You have 3 ways to opt-out either through the booklist, through the teacher’s Canvas Page, or through the link in the First Day Access Welcome email. To opt-out through the booklist, go to MavLINK. Login with your NetID. Select opt-out toggle button and proceed to "First Day Access Opt-Out".
*If your course is running through IA Bookshelf then after the opt out date has passed you may need to go back into your Professor’s Canvas page to access once before you will be able to access it again on your private bookshelf accounts.
I dropped the course. Do I still need to opt-out?
Yes. You will need to opt-out prior to dropping the class. If you do not opt-out, you will still be automatically charged, even if you drop the class.
I did not opt-out, but did not register my access or use the online platform. Will I have to pay?
Yes. All students who are enrolled in a course using First Day Access are automatically considered part of the program. To avoid paying for the digital materials you must opt-out through your course home page (MavLINK) before the add/drop deadline using the opt-out toggle button.
I forgot to opt-out and missed the deadline. Can I get a refund now?
Once the cost of the required course materials has been applied to your student account, there are no refunds.
I opted out by mistake and realized that I still need my access. Can I opt back in?
Yes if it's before the add/drop deadline without a "W". To opt-in, go to MavLINK. Login with your NetID. Click on the opt-in toggle button underneath your course material. You can opt-in and out as many times as you want before the deadline. Once it’s after the opt-out deadline, you will need to contact the First Day Access team at email@example.com and request being opted back in.
I didn't get an email about my course, but other students in my class did. Was I sent an email?
All enrolled students are emailed about the program to their official university email address. The email will be coming from the University of Nebraska at Omaha Bookstore with the subject line: IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR COURSE MATERIALS , email address will be from firstname.lastname@example.org. If it is not in a spam folder or was accidentally deleted, email the First Day Access team at email@example.com for access instructions.
How do I pay for my access?
All enrolled students who have not opted out of the program will have the First Day Access charge applied to their student account. The cost of the required digital content will appear on your Student Account as "Bookstore Charges - Books."
Having a connection issue or trouble with the online content?
*If your First Day Access is using IA Bookshelf to access and you get an error accessing the content directly from your bookshelf a few days after opt out please try accessing once directly through your Professor's Canvas Page. This is a verification step that you have not opted out of the material.
How to clear your cookies/cache-
First, try clearing your cookies and cache and/or using a different browser.
After clearing your cookies and cache close your browser and open it back up.
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click the button with 3 dots.
- Click 'More tools', then 'Clear browsing data'.
- At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
- Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
- Click Clear data.
- From the History menu, select Clear Recent History.
- From the Time range to clear: drop-down menu, select the desired range; to clear your entire cache, select Everything.
- Next to "Details", click the down arrow to choose which elements of the history to clear; to clear your entire cache, select all items.
Safari 8.0 - 10.0 (Mac)
- Click Safari in the upper left-hand side of your screen. In the menu that appears, click Preferences.
- In the window that appears, click the Privacy Tab. Click the button Remove All Website Data....
- Click Remove Now in the pop-up window that appears.
- Select the Hub icon (three horizontal lines at top bar in front of a star), click the History menu option, and then click Clear history.
- Select "Cookies and saved website data" and "Cached data and files". After the two are marked click Clear.
Internet Explorer 8
- Select Tools > Internet Options.
- Click on the General tab and then the Delete... button.
- Make sure to uncheck Preserve Favorites website data and check both Temporary Internet Files and Cookies then click Delete.
I have further questions that were not addressed. Who do I contact?
For First Day Access questions email the digital course materials team at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 402-554-2336.
- EMAIL MUST BE SENT FROM YOUR UNO EMAIL ADDRESS
- Include screenshots for technical issues
- List the Department, course(s) AND section number(s) you are asking about (Example: MATH 1120, sec 820)
- List the title of the item(s) you are asking about
- List the $ dollar amount - if you are asking about the cost on your student account
If you have general inquiries about the course itself, please contact your instructor directly.